Tuesday, 27 October 2015

Review: Counter Attack Bases - Super Hero Skirmish Templates and Crit Dice

One of the things needed to play the Batman Miniature Game is templates. The game needs two: An Expansive template (also called a flamer template in other game systems), for weapons and abilities that have an expansive spray effect, and an Explosive template, for weapons and abilities that effect an area.

I've been meaning to pick some of these up for a while know, but so far have not had crews that need them. Now that I do, I decided to take a look at what was out there.

Knight Models have a page in the back of the rulebook with templates that you can photocopy and cut out. I don't really fancy this option however, as photocopies stuck on card aren't going to last very long.

However, a number of industrious companies out there have come up with acrylic templates. I decided to go with Counter Attack Bases, using their 'it's not designed for BMG, honest' range, Super Hero Skirmish:


I went for clear acrylic, though they do a number of colours. I also went for the default text, both in content and font, and again, you can order custom text and fonts at an extra cost. I also picked up some Crit dice, used for the Collateral Damage roll in the game, as they looked quite snazzy.

First up, the Expansive Template:


This clocks in at £5 from Counter Attack Bases. If you want custom text, you pay an extra £1.25. It's made from quite thick and sturdy 3mm Perspex, so it's not going to break any time soon. In addition, the printing and text is sharp, and the perspex is very clear, so you can see what's going on under the template. It's not cheap for what it is, but seeing as you'll only probably ever buy one of these, I think it's worth it.

Next, we have the Explosive Template:


Again, it's made from the same 3mm Perspex, and is very sturdy. Once again, the perspex is clear and the text is sharp. This one costs £4, with the additional £1.25 for custom text, and is available in a range of colours.

Now, let's have a look at the dice:


These are 16mm pearl red dice, with the 'CRT' logo replacing the '6' side. They clock at £1.25 each. I really like these, as there's no confusion as to which dice is being used for the Collateral Damage dice.

All in all, I'm pretty pleased with my purchase from Counter Attack Bases. They also do a range of acrylic tokens, for objectives, abilities and effects etc. Not sure whether I have a massive need for these, but it may be worth looking at them at some point.

Considering that you need these for play (the templates, not the dice), and only really need one set, an initial outlay of £9.00 plus postage is not too bad, in my opinion.

Dan's Rating: 9/10

1 comment:

  1. I have been largely happy with stuff from CAB; I have had a few counter sets for different Factions and I think their Blood and Stun counters are great value and very well sized, especially compared to KM's own. :)

    ReplyDelete